I have MY Link. Do YOU have yours?
- Access to more than six million books, e-books, DVDs, magazines and research materials that make up the HPL collection.
- Access to more than 130 electronic resources which include streaming music, videos, images, audiobooks, and countless other subject-based websites and databases.
- Access to books and materials at other libraries, nationally and internationally, through our Interlibrary Loan program.
- Free Wi-Fi and computer access at all HPL Locations.
- Device checkout including mobile hotspots, laptop and tablets. Library card must be at least 30 days old and without any outstanding fines or fees.
Library cards are free to all Texas residents.
Learn more about our MY Link Library Card partner, H-E-B.
You can still get a MY Link card at any of our locations.
You must provide a valid photo I.D. with your current address. The following types of photo I.D. are acceptable if they are not expired:
- government agency issued identification card
- passports from any country
- any state driver's license
- any state or city identification card
- METRO identification card
- school identification card
If the photo I.D. does not include your address, you will need to provide a separate document that includes that information.
Children under 18
Parents or guardians must sign applications for children under 18; if the child is not present, the parent or guardian must provide one of the following:
- a current identification/document in the child's name issued by a government agency, school, or social services provider
- OR the child's birth certificate
- OR the child's immunization record
For details about acceptable alternative forms of identification, you may call the Circulation Department at (832) 393-2222, M-Th 10-8, Fri-Sat 10-5 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library cards expire every 3 years and must be renewed in person. Lost cards should be reported as soon as possible, as cardholders will be held responsible for any materials checked out on their card. There is no charge to replace a lost library card.
Do you need to change your email address, phone number or address? Use this form and we will update your information and get back to you.
Registration by Mail or Email
If you are a Texas resident and unable to physically come to the library to register for a library card, you can register by mail. Please print the Library Card registration form and send it, along with a good quality photocopy of your photo I.D. with your current address, to:
Houston Public Library
System Circulation Department (Library Card)
Houston, TX 77002
You can also email a scanned copy of the completed application form and photo I.D. to email@example.com.
It takes about 24 hours to process applications received by mail or email and prepare the card to be mailed, if all necessary information was included with the application.
Texas residents can also get a library card online.
If you live outside of Texas, you can obtain a card by paying a non-resident fee of $20/6 months or $40/year (personal check or money order made out to City of Houston). You can apply in person, by mail (see section above) or online.
- Borrow books, DVDs, CDs, e-books, and other materials
- Use our research databases
- Place holds
- Place your holds from home and get email notification for pick-up.There is a maximum of 30 holds per library card at any one time. Ask any HPL staff member if you need help with this service. Pick-up and check-out your items at the library location you choose. Holds will be held for 7 days. Check-out period is 3 weeks.
- Place interlibrary loan requests for items Houston Public Library does not own.
- Check your account: To renew your own items, view or cancel holds, view your checkout history.
Membership has many privileges. Get your MY Link card today!