You will need to provide completed documents to be notarized and a current photo ID.
Photo identification for all signers and witnesses is required. The following types of photo I.D. are acceptable if they are not expired:
- Valid driver’s license or identification card issued by a U. S. state
- United States Passport
- Other U. S. government issued identification card that includes a picture and the signature of the person
*All signers must be present at the time of the notarization.
- Notarized signatures cost $6 for the first signature (per document) and $1 for each additional signature
- Copies of notary records cost $0.50 a page
- HPL accepts all forms of payment except American Express for the processing of fees (cash, check, credit card, or debit card)
- If paying by check, the check needs to be made out to “City of Houston”
- Refunds will not be issued
*HPL’s notaries are not attorneys and they are not authorized to practice law, give legal advice, or prepare legal documents. HPL will not notarize some documents that require additional legal knowledge. These documents include: wills, deeds, mortgages, living wills, living trusts, codicils, protests, power of attorney and depositions. In addition, birth certificates and marriage licenses are publicly recorded documents and certified copies cannot be made by a notary. Certified copies are only available by contacting the specific government entity issuing the document (secretary of state’s office, court of law, county clerk, or Bureau of Vital Statistics). Only documents in English can be notarized.
Locations and Hours for Notary Service
Please contact your nearest neighborhood library for notary service availability.