Note (February 5, 2018): We will update this page with information about tax forms as it becomes available. Stay tuned!
Several HPL locations offer free tax help provided by dedicated AARP volunteers. See below for more information.
2018 Tax Forms
Only a few HPL locations receive selected tax forms. They typically arrive in early February. Tax forms are always available electronically on the IRS website. Some forms are available for photocopying.
Reproducible forms from previous years are also available online as well as at a few HPL locations
We do not receive 1099 forms. You may view and/or print them from the IRS website.
Library customers may also use public computers with Internet access available at all HPL locations to access tax forms via IRS's website.
AARP Tax Preparation Help
From Thursday, February 1 through Tuesday, April 17, 2018, the AARP Tax-Aide program offers free one-on-one counseling and assistance with preparing basic tax forms, including the 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ and other standard schedules. Houston Public Library in partnership with AARP will be offering free income tax return assistance at various HPL locations listed below.
Check the Events calendar for a location near you.
What to bring with you:
- Copy of last year’s income tax return(s)
- W-2 forms from each employer (s)
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets
- 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- All forms indicating federal income tax paid
- Dependent care provider information (name, employer, ID, Social Security number)
- All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
AARP Free Tax Help Locations & Times:
Appointments are not necessary. All sessions are offered on a first come, first serve basis. You may experience a long wait.
- Central Library: Mondays and Thursdays, 2 PM - 6 PM; Saturdays, 10 AM - 2 PM
- Heights Neighborhood Library: Tuesdays, 12 PM - 4:30 PM and Fridays, 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM
- Henington-Alief Regional Library: Mondays, 12 PM - 2 PM and Wednesdays, 10:00 AM - 2 PM
- Hillendahl Neighborhood Library: Wednesdays, 11 AM - 3 PM and Thursdays, 12:30 PM - 4:30 PM
- Johnson Neighborhood Library: Wednesdays and Thursdays, 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
- Jungman Neighborhood Library: Tuesdays, 10 AM - 4 PM; Thursdays, 12 PM - 4 PM
- Oak Forest Neighborhood Library: Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays,10 AM - 2 PM
- Vinson Neighborhood Library: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
✔ Check with the individual library for date and time before your visit.